SMPN 4 Pakem arranges self development program in the form of:
- Guidance Counselling
* Personal life development that is a service unit which helps students in understanding, judging, and developing their potency and skills, talents and interests, and also the condition which is compatible with the personality characteristics and their realistic needs.
* Social life development that is a service unit which helps the students in understanding, judging, and developing their good and effective social interactions to their friends, family, the social environments.
* The students’ ability development that is a service unit which helps students in developing their learning ability to follow the school education and to learn independently.
* Career development that is a service unit which helps students in understanding, judging the information and also choosing and taking career decision.
B. Self academic development
Self academic development is meant to develop the potency and the ability to think and make a scientific research. The forms of self academic development are:
* KIS (Karya Ilmiah Siswa) / (Scientific students writing) is included in obligatory extra curricular, it is meant to develop their ability to think scientifically.
* Olympic class (MAFIBIAS) is meant as a place for students who have specific intelligent to reach an optimal achievement in national or international level. If this self development is accomplished, it can make SMPN 4 Pakem truly equivalent to other International schools which have International achievements.
* English Speaking is meant to support the SBI program in which English is required as a main language of an International school.
C. Soft Skill Development
Soft skill is one of the main part of human personality development which is needed to be improved early. The activities which can improve the students’ awareness and discipline to their environment in SMPN 4 Pakem are:
* Scout, as an obligatory extra curricular to build self-independence, honesty, hard-working mentality, and a high patriotism.
* Flag ceremony, as a habitual activity to build students’ discipline and patriotism.
* Gymnastics, as a habitual activity to build a good teamwork, physical health, and a harmonic relationship among the students.
* Gotong royong (teamwork) as a habitual activity to build the students’ awareness of loving and keeping the environment.
* Achievement Motivation Training (AMT), a programmed activity to build motivation to reach an achievement and to develop positive thinking.
D. Talent and Interest Development
1. Physical Exercise and Achievement
* Swimming, as an obligatory extra curricular.
* Martial arts, as an obligatory extra curricular
* Basket ball, volley ball, soccer, futsal
* Tennis and table tennis.
2. Life skill
* Cooking class
* Fashion class
* Drum band
* Music ansamble